twitter Facebook linkedin acp

Ndovu Resources has started a 2D seismic survey of the Ntorya gas discovery onshore Tanzania in order to identify new drilling targets

According to partner Solo Oil, the seismic work was the first step towards the planned appraisal campaign on the Ruvuma onshore licence where operator and Aminex subsidiary Ndovu Resources, with a 75 per cent stake, and Solo Oil, with remaining 25 per cent interest, aim to submit a development plan within two years.

The companies are seeking to prove additional gas resources on the 760 sq km licence after the Ntorya-1 discovery well drilled last year yielded five billion cubic metres of estimated gross reserves, with an additional 28.3bn cubic metres of unrisked potential in-place volumes.

Further exploration wells in the block will also target unrisked prospective resources of more than 141bn cubic metres identified in prospects and leads once drilling locations have been pinpointed from fresh seismic data, the co-venturers added.

Solo Oil said that another reason for development of the discovery is a new 540km, 36-inch gas export pipeline being built by state-owned Tanzanian Petroleum Development Corporation to the country’s capital Dar es Salaam, into which Ntorya is likely to be tied.

The pipeline is due for operations early 2015.

Neil Ritson, executive director of Solo Oil, said, “Exploitation of the onshore part of the Ruvuma Basin has been largely overlooked due to the focus on major gas discoveries in the offshore area.

“However, the proven presence of gas condensate and the ease of selling that gas into the Dar es Salaam market makes this area unique and we are confident that the additional work being undertaken will greatly assist us and any potential partners to accelerate the commercial development.”