twitter Facebook linkedin acp

Gas yield from OML 58 is processed in the Obite treatment centre for supply to NLNG. (Image source: Adobe Stock)

TotalEnergies and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation Ltd has reached a final investment decision (FID) for the development of the Ubeta gas field 

Located about 80 km northwest of Port Harcourt in Rivers state, the Ubeta gas field falls under OML 58 onshore license which is operated by TotalEnergies with a 40% interest while NNPC holds the other 60%. 

The development plan includes the installation of a 11 km buried pipeline to connect Ubeta's new six-well cluster to the existing Obite facilities, thus allowing emissions reduction and cost efficiency. A 5 MW solar plant is currently under construction at Obite to further alleviate carbon intensity. A completely electrified drilling rig will be deployed for production which is due to start in 2027.

During COP28, TotalEnergies signed an agreement with NNPCL among other African oil companies to deploy its advanced drone-based technology AUSEA on oil & gas facilities in Nigeria, and soon after, an inspection of OML 100 field in south-eastern Niger Delta confirmed that their joint venture has achieved zero routine gas flaring across all its assets, including OML 58

Favourable government initiatives

While things are looking up in terms of sustainable practices, Nigeria is also focusing on production optimisation, and its recent collaboration with SLB testifies this approach

The Ubeta field capacity is expected at approximately 70,000 bopd including condensates. The Obagi oil field and the Ibewa gas and condensate field that also belong within OML 58 are currently in production. The gas yield is processed in the Obite treatment centre for supply to the Nigerian domestic gas market as well as Nigeria LNG (NLNG) plant. 

TotalEnergies owns a 15% interest in NLNG, which is a liquefaction plant in Bonny Island, with an on-going capacity expansion from 22-30 Mtpa. 

With more than 90% of manhours to be worked locally, the major, along with NNPCL, is aiming to enhance local content.

“Ubeta is the latest in a series of projects developed by TotalEnergies in Nigeria, most recently Ikike and Akpo West. I am pleased that we can launch this new gas project which has been made possible by the Government’s recent incentives for non-associated gas developments. Ubeta fits perfectly with our strategy of developing low-cost and low-emission projects, and will contribute to the Nigerian economy through higher NLNG exports,” said Mike Sangster, senior vice president - Africa, exploration and production at TotalEnergies.