Total expands exploration activities in Mauritania with a new deep offshore license

BAe 146 over northern Mauritania on the Fennec campaignBAe 146 over northern Mauritania. (Image source: Mnt tiska/Commons)Total and Mauritania have signed an exploration and production contract to perform exploration works on Block C7, which covers an area of 7,300 sq km

Total will be the operator with a 90 per cent interest alongside the Société Mauritanienne des Hydrocarbures et de Patrimoine Minier (SMHPM) holding the remaining 10 per cent.

Total has been present in Mauritania for nearly 20 years. It is the only oil and gas major active in the marketing of petroleum products in the country, with a retail network of 38 service stations. The group holds a 90 per cent interest in the C9 exploration license (10,150 sq km), located in the deep offshore. Total also operates the onshore Ta29 exploration license (12,500 sq km) in the Taoudenni Basin.

“This agreement is part of Total’s strategy to explore new deepwater basins in Africa. The addition of the C7 block to our existing C9 deepwater license creates a contiguous exploration area of around 17,000 sq km in a high-potential zone in offshore Mauritania,” said Guy Maurice, Senior Vice President, Africa at Total Exploration and Production, following his meeting with Mohamed Abdel Vetah, Minister of Petroleum, Energy and Mines of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?